Gum disease is one of the most common types of oral disease present in the United States today. It occurs due to an overproduction of bacteria in the mouth, which burrows into the gums and causes inflammation. Over time, it can lead to tooth loss and damage. It is treatable but can be costly and painful to treat. That’s why gum disease prevention is the best route to take. At Wambaugh Dental, we’ll work with you to ensure you have access to the best level of treatment possible. Call our treatment program today at 844.508.1034.
Why Is Gum Disease Prevention So Important?
Gum disease is a chronic condition that worsens over time. As it does, it causes the gums to become inflamed and damage. They begin to pull away from the teeth, allowing the teeth to become loose. Over time, teeth can fall out as a result of this condition. It can also increase the risk for infections and tooth decay. However, it is nearly always preventable with routine dental care and good oral hygiene.
How to Prevent Gum Disease
There are a number of steps you can take to prevent gum disease. What’s most important is to be consistent. Some of the best prevention methods include the following:
- Brush your teeth: The cause of gum disease starts with bacteria, which flourishes and grows rapidly when sugars are present in the mouth from foods. Brushing your teeth removes the bacterial and food supply for it, reducing the risk of gum disease.
- Floss your teeth: The spaces between the teeth where a toothbrush cannot reach are common areas for gum disease to build up. Flossing helps to keep these areas free from that bacteria.
- Boost your immune system: With proper dental hygiene, a healthy immune system can keep bacteria in the mouth under control. A nutritious diet and overall good health can help to keep your immune system functioning correctly.
- Get in to see the dentist twice a year: Your dentist can provide teeth cleaning. This helps remove the plaque that builds up from the bacteria, cleaning away the damage it’s done and helping the gums remain healthy.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking causes damage to the blood vessels in your mouth, reducing the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the gums. That causes damage and inflammation to them, making them more susceptible to damage from bacteria.
In addition to these steps, it is also important to work with your dentist if you see the signs of damage to your gums. If your gums are red, pulling away from your teeth, or bleeding when you are brushing, it’s essential to treat this quickly. The sooner you do, the more likely it is for your dentist to control the condition. This treatment may include deep cleanings from a periodontal specialist.
Schedule a Consultation at Wambaugh Dental Today
If you are struggling with any oral disease, your dentist can provide a wide range of treatments to help you. It is critical, though, that you work to ensure you have the best access to dental care, routine dental visits, cleanings, and x-rays. All of this helps keep gum disease at bay or under control. At Wambaugh Dental, we offer a range of treatment options to help you, including:
- Preventative care services
- Dental imaging help
- Gum disease treatment
- Cosmetic dentistry services
- General dentistry services
Gum disease is not something to put off. Work with our dental team to ensure your dental health is the best it can be. Reach out to us to book an appointment at Wambaugh Dental for our general dentistry service. Reach us at 844.508.1034 or connect online for an appointment now.