The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the hinge that holds the jawbone to the skull. There are two, one on either side of the mouth. In some situations, TMJ disorder can develop. This condition can create significant pain in the joints and muscles that help to move the jaw. TMJ treatment is available and can help to reduce the symptoms you have. It is one of the services we offer at Wambaugh Dental. Call our team today at 844.508.1034 to learn more about our services and make your first appointment.
What Are TMJ Treatment Options?
The first step is a full consultation. There, we work to understand what is happening. We look at all of the jaw structures to determine the cause of the pain and discomfort. The treatment options we choose will depend on factors related to the severity of the pain and other treatments you may have already had. Some of the treatment options for TMJ include:
- Medications: Medication is the backbone of treatment for many people. There are anti-inflammatory and pain medications that may help to reduce the discomfort present. Additionally, we may recommend a tricyclic antidepressant, a type of medicine that we give in low doses that provides pain relief.
- Muscle relaxants: Another type of medication we’ve used is a muscle relaxant. Though not commonly used for long-term needs, it can offer some pain relief over a few days.
- Oral splints and mouthguards: This type of treatment helps to reduce jaw pain. A person wears a device in the mouth over the teeth to prevent discomfort.
- Physical therapy: It may be possible to see some improvements using stretching and strengthening exercises for the jaw muscles. Treatments may include the use of heat or ice as well as ultrasound.
These treatment options are available for most of our patients. However, if these treatment options, we may provide alternative treatments.
Alternative Treatment Options
There are also surgical procedures that may help with improving the function of the jaw. These procedures are used when other options do not work. Some of them include:
- Arthrocentesis: This option is a minimally invasive procedure that helps to irrigate fluid from the joint to remove debris.
- Injections: This type of treatment is a shot placed into the joint that reduces the complications of muscle pain.
- TMJ arthroscopy: This procedure can help to reduce pain through open-jaw surgery.
- Modified condylotomy: This procedure adjusts the mandible rather than the joint itself. For some, it may be helpful.
Other options may exist as well. Our goal is to use the least invasive but most effective treatment options available to you.
How to Get TMJ Therapy in Texas
When it comes to ensuring your dental care in Texas, our team is here to help you. We start by providing a consultation to determine what could be happening. This consultation may include an inspection of the jaw, including the range of motion, the jaw’s function, and the areas of pain you have. In addition, x-rays are completed, and sometimes a CT scan or MRI to determine any underlying cause of the pain.
Treatment may be beneficial for some people, especially those dealing with pain in the TMJ, for a long time. When it comes to TMJ treatment, our team uses the most advanced care options available. We talk to you about the pros and cons of all procedures to ensure you are fully aware of what could be happening and the type of improvement you will see. With this information, you can make better decisions about your oral health and your long-term wellbeing.
Schedule a Consultation at Wambaugh Dental
TMJ can be painful and challenging to treat for some people. At Wambaugh Dental, we provide comprehensive help using the most innovative solutions available. To find out how we can help you, call 844.508.1034 or connect with us online now. Request a consultation to learn about TMJ therapy in Texas or to come in for a diagnosis.