Everyone wants a clean and healthy mouth. Of course, there are steps you can take to keep your mouth healthy that may seem obvious, like visiting your dentist twice a year. But what to do about that pesky plaque that tends to build up so easily on your teeth? Besides, what is plaque, anyway? Don’t worry because the steps to get rid of plaque are simpler than you may think. Educating yourself about what it is and how to get rid of it is a good first step towards having a cleaner, healthier mouth.
To schedule a routine dental cleaning and take care of plaque buildup, contact Wambaugh Dental at 844.508.1034.
What Is Plaque, Exactly?
Believe it or not, everyone has dental plaque, from children to senior citizens. Plaque is a sticky substance similar to a film that occurs when the bacteria in your mouth interact with starchy or sugary foods. Left untreated, plaque can turn into tartar, which can inflame your gums and cause a variety of problems, including but not limited to the following:
- Cavities – If you’re not brushing or flossing regularly, plaque buildup quickly turns into tartar, which can contribute to cavities.
- Gingivitis, or gum disease – This is an uncomfortable and painful condition that requires professional treatment.
- Tooth loss – Left untreated, gum disease caused by plaque buildup can, unfortunately, lead to loss of teeth.
What Causes Plaque Buildup?
We all have bacteria in our mouths. These bacteria, when confronted with sugary or starchy foods like candy, soft drinks, juice, fruit, bread, or pasta, release acids that react and break down the carbohydrates in those foods. If you don’t brush your teeth regularly, the combination of bacteria, acids, and carbohydrates mix into a sticky, colorless film that we call plaque.
Some of the symptoms of plaque buildup include feeling a sort of fuzziness on your teeth, chronic bad breath, and red or swollen gums that bleed after brushing (this is also a symptom of gum disease).
How Do I Get Rid of Plaque?
You may be surprised to know that getting rid of early plaque buildup is as simple as brushing your teeth twice a day (or after eating meals) and flossing once a day. These simple steps remove plaque on teeth quickly and easily, without any hassle.
However, if the plaque buildup in your mouth has become significant, your dentist may recommend other measures to remove plaque in your mouth. Some of these include:
- Dental sealants that keep plaque from forming on the top surfaces of your teeth. This is a good option for those who seem to be prone to plaque buildup despite regular dental care.
- Dry mouth medications that will help increase saliva production in your mouth. Sometimes other medications you take can cause dry mouth, which increases the risk of plaque.
- Fluoride treatments to slow the growth of the type of bacteria that cause plaque buildup. Fluoride is a safe and effective way to strengthen teeth.
- Prescription toothpaste and antibacterial mouthwash. This is a great idea for those who want to continue to keep plaque at bay through good dental hygiene.
All of the above treatments are offered by Wambaugh Dental, so if you are looking for a dental office that can help you get rid of the plaque that’s built up on your teeth, you’ve come to the right place. Our team of experienced and compassionate dentists and dental hygienists will help you get a brighter, whiter smile and a healthier mouth overall.
For Plaque Treatment, Call Wambaugh Dental Today
You don’t have to live with pesky plaque buildup any longer. If your teeth are bothering you, and you need treatment to get rid of plaque, don’t wait. The team at Wambaugh Dental is here to help. We offer the latest treatments in plaque removal and can also help you maintain good dental health with regular cleanings and checkups. So contact us today using the form on our website or call us at 844.508.1034 to schedule an appointment.